Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Tutoring - Day 1

o i started tutoring at Hunter today for my 10 hours in Educ 201. I was absolutely terrified. Ive been tutoring myself online with math.com on pre algebra, algebra and simple math. Haha its kinda sad but i learned more doing it myself with the help it gave me than at school. Alot about decimals i never knew.

So anyway I had to call last week and confirm everything so i talked to a woman in the main office and she told me to come see her when i came today. So I walked in and told them I was the tutor. They all looked at me with bewilderment. Cause the secretary told me to tell whoever was there who i was and they'd find her for me. Well the woman wasnt there today. So someone knew something about it and that I had some relation to Stacey (my soon to be aunt who teaches 8th grade there). So a girl took me to her room and I heard someone talking in there that wasnt her. And the teacher's lounge was right next to it and the teachers in there said she was out of town on the 8th grade trip. I was like well thats great. So no one knew what I was suppose to do or where to go. So they told me to sit with them until class got out and go into her room and see if anyone shows up. So I sat there for about 10 mins and listened to them talk. It was so funny. They talked about the kids and how weird some were and i was like haha this is gonna be me in a few years. All grown up.

So I went in Stacey's room and then 5 kids suddenly appeared. All 6th graders who were 11. So when they all finally got in there I asked what they needed help in. All at once they all go MATH. My heart sunk lol. So i asked them what kind of math they had and they said regular math, no pre algebra yet which was good news for me. And they said they didnt understand fractions or decimals, which was my problem but I looked at their book and the homework was easy. It was reducing fractions which they couldnt do very well. I had a worse time of them fighting over using the markers and writing on the board more than the math lol.

The girls didnt really wanna do the math they just wanted to draw on the board and the 2 boys were practically wrestling. But they liked my car and the girls loved my phone since it was blinged out with jewels lol. But somehow I got conned into buying them candy for thursday. They sure werent scared to talk to me though lol. They were wild and as full of energy as could be. It was pretty good though. Not too bad. I just gotta make sure I know how to do the math again next time. Back to middle school!